June 14, 2015

Jurassic World Movie Review

Damn!She wore those heels through the
 entire course of the movie.
14 years after the last,or 22 after the first(if you don't like to consider the sequels) movie; we get Jurassic World. So in this movie, John Hammond's 'idea' has finally been fully realized and we now have a functional dinosaur amusement park--Jurassic World. The problem is that people got bored of dinosaurs pretty quick. As a result,they decide to genetically engineer a dinosaur of their own, Indominus Rex(who is "Bigger.Louder." and has "More teeth"), to attract people. Who,of course,breaches containment and havoc ensues. Did I mention that the new dino is also a hybrid of  a T-Rex and some other species which I won't spoil?

The director of this movie,Colin Trevorrow, was a complete unknown to me. I am,however,told that I should check out 'Safety Not Guaranteed'. He does a good job with this movie for the most part. Although, his characters have an essential banality.Vincent D'Onofrio's character especially was just too cliched. His character's plan in the movie was just absurd. Bryce Dallas Howard was a bit boring in the beginning but she got better in the latter half.I think that could be said about the movie as well.It took a while for it to get things going.

I,contrary to expectations, found Jurassic World to be highly entertaining. Notice that I use the word 'entertaining'. Yes,there are a few plot points that bothered me, but the movie gets so many other things right. For starters, it realizes that it doesn't need to be (hell,CANNOT be) Jurassic Park. There are references to the first movie but that's about it. It stops trying to amuse us(because JP already did that). Instead,it becomes an awesome,action-packed monster movie. That's the most you could ask for from Jurassic World(this might be considered sad by some).

Chris Pratt was funny and charming as expected. He's sealed his place in the 'Hollywood superstar' category. He had some really cheesy lines(which became unintentionally funny) but managed not worsen the case. Everything that guy does is just so likeable. There are also more than a couple of scenes purely there for comic relief which were surprisingly pleasant. Jake M.Johnson plays an employee who's also a Jurassic Park-fanboy. He managed to squeeze a chuckle out of me in every scene he's in. There's also a certain book on his table which should be of interest to the fans of the original.

I wouldn't mind seeing him as the next Indiana.

The dinosaurs needed to look good to sell me and they do. It's more CGI dependent than animatronics and in a few scenes the creatures look unworldly(in a bad way) but other than that it's all good. Especially the last act of the movie. WOW! I'll say this: If you were disappointed with Godzilla(2014),this movie should clinch you interest.

Of course, the movie does not re-create the same sense of wonderment and awe as the first one. But,I don't think any movie ever will. This is possibly the next best thing. Is it good enough? For me,it is. Many might oppose but none can deny that they didn't find themselves having a good time while watching this movie.And I get the fact that since it is a continuation of the franchise that people should be able to compare it to the first.I just didn't go in that direction in order to be able to savour this movie.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHJKHAIAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
(I'm a bad person.)

There are a few subplots in the movie and there's one in particular that one might call dispensable.I'm talking about the kids. Now the actors did a good job. Their reactions to everything that was happening was apt. But the two brothers' backstory with their parents and their relationship with each other just was not interesting. Every time we got to their part,it felt like the movie was starting to slack off.

The trailers had me worried about the whole 'training raptors' shenanigan. However,I was impressed with how the movie dealt with that part.In fact, it was one of the aspects of the movie that I really liked.

In the end, JurassicWorld is an entertaining movie with flaws in characterization and narrative.Nevertheless,a lot of things worked well in my opinion. The movie looks good. Indominus Rex as a monster villain worked.Chris Pratt as the main character is fitting. It isn't as captivating as Jurassic Park but it's guaranteed to be a good time anyway.

So have you seen Jurassic World?What did you think about it?Did I miss something I should have talked about?Comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment