February 28, 2015

Kingsman:The Secret Service. Manners.Maketh.Man.

Poster for Kingsman:The Secret Service
 Bond film meets Men in Black
When Harry Hart's(Colin Firth's) mistake leads to the death of a Kingsman(a secret spy organisation) agent, he tries to make things right by recruiting his son,Eggsy.Meanwhile, Richmond Valentine (Sam L. Jackson) plans to go on a worldwide killing spree of sorts to solve the problem of climate change.

As an action movie,this certainly delivers.Sure,some of the fight sequences used 'shaky-cam' but I''ll let Matthew Vaughn get away with it as he's just that good.The camera follows the action and I was satisfied.Also, this movie has a fighting scene in a church, going down to the song "Free Bird" by Lynyrd Skynyrd.What more could I ask for?

As for the cast, Colin Firth shows us that he can be bad-ass,if you want him to be bad-ass.Taron Egerton,the newcomer, does a good job as well and is fairly charismatic in playing his part.He is able to hold his own against a cast such as this. Samuel L Jackson played  the main antagonist and he had a weird lisp(kind of like Mike Tyson) which looked like a turn-off in the trailer but I bought it while watching the movie(for some insane reason).He's assisted by Gazelle, a lady who has bladed, prosthetic legs instead of actual feet.Surely a dig at typical,old school Bond villains.

That brings me to my next point. Kingsman is very self-aware.This makes room for sly references to other spy movies,which is the source of comedic relief.It also helps the audience to look past certain plot devices and scenes which would usually take people out of a movie.

Thumbnail for trailer
Click  to watch "KingsmanL:The Secret Service Trailer"
Matthew Vaughn has definitely cemented his reputation in my eyes as an inventive director who brings freshness to an already established genre of movies.This movie looks good as well.The camera angles and color grading work well together. Mr.Vaughn also pushes the limits a bit with Kingsman.I mean, he gives us Colin Firth stabbing people in the eye.

That's pretty much all I have to say about this movie. And I highly recommend watching Kingsman.Because you will have fun with this movie.You might be bothered by a few things, but you'll enjoy it,none the less.In closing, I shall quote the movie itself--  ".....give me a far-fetched theatrical plot anyday."

So have you seen Kingsman:The Secret Service? What did you think about it? What movie should I review next?Comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment